Pineapple fried rice is not only juicy, savoury, sweet and sumptuous, it’s also a great dish to use up any left over vegetables or meat you have in the fridge. This is an easy and delicious recipe, children also enjoy the thrill of frying too!
TIP – Use the same quantity of chopped up leftover vegetables and/or meat from your fridge instead of the frozen mixed vegetables and sausage/ham. The shoaxing wine is not essential but gives the dish a lovely flavour.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
What you will need
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- Half an onion, diced
- 100g frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 70g ham or sausage, diced
- 100g pineapple (fresh or tinned), cut into chunks
- 500g cooked rice
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine (optional)
Let’s get cooking!
Fry the meat and vegetables
- Heat up your wok or frying pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Fry the onion and the mixed vegetables for 2 minutes until cooked. Push the onion and vegetables to one side of the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of vegetable oil and pour in the whisked egg, scramble the egg until cooked.
- Throw in the ham or sausage and the pineapple, mix everything together and fry for 5 minutes, moving the food around all the time.
Combine the rice and flavourings
- Tip in the rice, light soy sauce and shaoxing wine, if using.
- Use your spatula to break up the rice and combine with all the other ingredients.
- If your pan has a lid, you can turn the heat to low and put the lid on for 3-5 minutes to ensure everything is cooked through and to allow the flavours to meld together.
- Fry on medium heat for another 5 minutes until the rice is no longer moist.